Monday, January 14, 2008

Drugs (II)

Drugs
(This Mortal Coil cover of The Talking Heads )

And all I see is little dots
Some are smeared and some are spots
Feels like a murder but that's alright
Somebody said there's too much light
Pull down the shade and it's alright
It'll be over in a minute or two.
I'm charged up...Don't put me down
Don't feel like talking...Don't mess around
I feel mean...I feel O.K.
I'm charged up...Electricity
The boys are making a big mess
This makes the girls all start to laugh
I don't know what they're talking about
The boys are worried, the girls are shocked
They pick the sound and let it drop
Nobody know what they're talking about
I'm charged up...I'm kinda wooden
I'm barely moving...I study motion
I study myself...I fooled myself
I'm charged up...It's pretty intense.
I'm charged up...Don't put me down
Don't feel like talking...Don't mess around
I feel mean...I feel O.K.
I'm charged up...Electricity.



Today is the first day in a week where I will not be taking copious amounts of Vicodin in order to just make it through the day.

Worry not, I don't have an incipient drug addiction. Just the worst kind of dental pain issues for over a week. First a broken tooth with killer cavity which was then replaced by a root canal last Wednesday.

Now, I've had root canals before, and NEVER has the recuperation been this freakin' horrific. The pain was sheer agony. I was popping Vicodin and prescription Naproxen (Aleve) every 2 - 3 hours just to survive. O.K. maybe a little melodramatic...but still, you get the point. By Friday evening, I was fully convinced that something had gone horribly wrong with my root canal. Like a "root" had been left in there or something.

Luckily, by Saturday afternoon, the pain was beginning to subside from an omnipresent stabbing to a dull roaring ache. That, I could handle. With some Vicodin.

My poor liver and kidneys. I can't imagine how much toxic gunk they were shoveling through from Wednesday night to Saturday night. Enough to make me a Hollywood D-list celeb, I'm sure.

So, here I am on Monday afternoon. Vicodin free. I have a couple of pills left over, just in case.


Image by Aeric Meredith-Goujon, taken October 2007

1 comment:

Tanya said...

oy! i always keep the Just in case pain meds for stuff like that and Ear infections.. Teeth/mouth and ear pain and UTI's have to be some of the most crippling pain the body can endure and still be able to walk around.