Tuesday, May 19, 2009

...feel what it's like to be new

Soul Meets Body
Death Cab For Cutie

listen
I want to live where soul meets body
And let the sun wrap its arms around me
And bathe my skin in water cool and cleansing
And feel, feel what its like to be new

Cause in my head there’s a greyhound station
Where I send my thoughts to far off destinations
So they may have a chance of finding a place
where they’re far more suited than here

And I cannot guess what we'll discover
When we turn the dirt with our palms cupped like shovels
But I know our filthy hands can wash one another’s
And not one speck will remain

And I do believe it’s true
That there are roads left in both of our shoes
But if the silence takes you
Then I hope it takes me too
So brown eyes I hold you near
Cause you’re the only song I want to hear
A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere

Where soul meets body
Where soul meets body
Where soul meets body

And I do believe it’s true
That there are roads left in both of our shoes
But if the silence takes you
Then I hope it takes me too
So brown eyes I hold you near
Cause you’re the only song I want to hear
A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere
A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere
A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere
A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last week was rough.

I would say that it was akin to being on an emotional roller-coaster, but truth be told, there was very little "up", to go with the down. If I were to continue with the amusement park ride analogy, I guess it felt more like a "free-fall" ride, with little stops, before the "drops" along the way. Fun. (not). I don't like that "pit in your stomach" feeling. Never have, and I'm not about to start now.

At at one point last week I was thinking, that if I didn't have certain responsibilities (inescapable ones), I would seriously consider going/running away/disappearing for a little while. Leaving this life. Finding another one...one where my soul meets my body, and where the feel of the sun touching my body makes me happy, instead of inexplicably sad.



I don't want or need Utopia. Just someplace where it feels a little less oppressive.

But this is a new week...and with it, new opportunities for peace, happiness, fulfillment.

Or at least a girl can hope.






Image by Nathaniel Goldstock, May 2009

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

from jamsey page hi here ya go fuk spell check

The Atkins Diet is a departure from the previously prevailing metabolic theories. Atkins said that there are important unrecognized factors in Western eating habits leading to obesity. Primarily, he believed that the main cause of obesity is eating refined carbohydrates, particularly sugar, flour, and high-fructose corn syrups.

The Atkins Diet involves restriction of carbohydrates to more frequently switch the body's metabolism from burning glucose as fuel to burning stored body fat. This process (called ketosis) begins when insulin levels are low; in normal humans, insulin is lowest when blood glucose levels are low (mostly before eating). Caloric carbohydrates (e.g., glucose or starch (itself made of chains of glucose)) produce most of the blood sugar after meals and can be calculated to even determine the insulin needs of diabetics.[1] Because of its low digestibility, fiber provides little or no food energy and does not significantly impact glucose and insulin levels. Ketosis involves lipolysis in which some of the lipid stores in fat cells are transferred to the blood.

In his book Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution, Dr. Atkins made the controversial argument that the low-carbohydrate diet produces a metabolic advantage in which the body burns more calories, overall, than on normal diets, and also expels some unused calories. He cited one study where he estimated this advantage to be 950 calories (4.0 MJ) a day. However, a review study published in the Lancet concluded that there was no such metabolic advantage and dieters were simply eating fewer calories due to boredom. Professor Astrup stated, "The monotony and simplicity of the diet could inhibit appetite and food intake" The Atkins Diet restricts "net carbs" (digestible carbohydrates that impact blood sugar). One effect is a tendency to decrease the onset of hunger, perhaps due to longer duration of digestion (fats and proteins take longer to digest than carbohydrates). Dr. Atkins says in Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (2002) that hunger is the number one reason why low-fat diets fail. Although studies show the efficacy of the Atkins approach after one year is the same as some low-fat diets, it was easier, according to Atkins, to stay on the diet because dieters did not feel as hungry or "deprived".[citation needed]

Net carbohydrates can be calculated from a food source by subtracting fiber and sugar alcohols (which are shown to have a smaller effect on blood sugar levels) from total carbohydrates. Sugar alcohols contain about two calories per gram, and the American Diabetes Association recommends that diabetics count each gram as half a gram of carbohydrate.[2] Fructose (e.g., as found in many industrial sweeteners) has four calories per gram, although it has a very low glycemic index[3] and does not cause insulin production, probably because ß cells have low levels of GLUT5.[4][5]

Preferred foods in all categories are whole, unprocessed foods with a low glycemic index, although restrictions for low glycemic carbohydrates (blackrice, vegetables, etc.) are the same as those for high glycemic carbohydrates (sugar, white bread). Atkins Nutritionals, the company formed to market foods which work with the Atkins Diet, recommends that no more than 20% of calories eaten while on the diet come from saturated fat.[6]

According to the book Atkins Diabetes Revolution, for people whose blood sugar is abnormally high or who have Type 2 diabetes mellitus, this diet decreases or eliminates the need for drugs to treat these conditions. The Atkins Blood Sugar Control Program (ABSCP) is an individualized approach to weight control and permanent management of the risk factors for diabetes and cardiovascular disease.[7] Nevertheless, the causes of Type 2 diabetes remain obscure, and the Atkins Diet is not accepted in conventional therapy for diabetes.

ell chekc

Mockingbird Girl said...

Why hello there Trollie McTroll! How very kind and predictable of you to grace my blog with your [less than pleasant] presence. I'll have to make sure I thank "Jamesy" properly for the referral next time we have drinks. I see that you didn't take to either of my suggestions and still haven't grown a set; preferring to hide under a coward's blanket of anonymity while spewing forth your venom & vitriol. Interesting... does it make you feel oddly "powerful" doing so, or are you just totally chickenshit?

Regardless, thanks *ever* so much for all of that super interesting
information from the dearly departed Dr. Atkins. I'm sure it took quite the effort for you to google "obesity" and then clip & paste something that struck your puerile fancy.

In the spirit of exchanging information, let me direct you to
http://bit.ly/F5pAB and to http://bit.ly/gAicD . I'm sure you'll be as interested in it as I was in the Dr. Atkins' info.

Have a super-terrific day hiding under your bridge.

Love & kisses,
mbg

p.s. Seriously dude/dudette, use spell check. You make my head hurt,
not to mention that it takes away from your ever so convincing arguments. We certainly wouldn't want that now, would we?

Stella said...

Anon ISA douche. Bring something new asshat